Effective as of April 19, the Commission last week issued a Public Notice announcing a temporary freeze on the filing of new or modification applications for fixed-satellite (FSS) earth station licenses, receive-only earth station registrations, and fixed microwave licenses in the 3.7-4.2 GHz frequency band, known as the C-Band. Currently, the Commission has an ongoing inquiry into the possibility of permitting mobile broadband use in this band and therefore wants to preserve the current authorized operations in the band and have a record of those operations. Exceptions to the freeze are applications for renewal or cancellation, modification to correct location or other data for earth stations and applications for renewal, cancellation, minor modifications, or data corrections for fixed microwave licenses.

An exception to the freeze is a 90-day filing window to file applications for FSS earth stations in the 3.7-4.2 GHz frequency band by entities that own or operate existing FSS earth stations if it isn’t currently registered or licensed. Entities operating such FSS earth stations may file an application to register or license the earth station, or they may file an application to modify a current registration or license. The filing window closes on July 18, 2018

Typically applications for earth station licenses, or registration in the 3.7-4.2 GHz band, would require a frequency coordination report demonstrating coordination with terrestrial stations. The coordination results entitle the FSS earth station to the interference protection levels agreed to during coordination, including against subsequent fixed services licenses. During this filing window the FCC has waived the frequency coordination requirement for the applications. However, if you file the application without a frequency coordination report, the earth station is not afforded protection from fixed service transmissions, but presumably will be protected from any new mobile services the Commission is considering for this band.

If you would like assistance in filing your application for license or registration, please call us.